Starting next school year, the BHS English Department will reintroduce a reading & writing assistance lab, which will be open to all BHS students. In the recent past, we have has a supplemental reading program, but that program has been dormant for the past few years. Our new initiative will be a work in progress, but what we envision includes the following:
- Select English teachers will have set hours during the day to meet with students who require assistance with reading comprehension, writing fluency or vocabulary reinforcement.
- Students will sign up for session hours during their free periods, study halls, etc.
- Instruction will be either in a one-on-one of small group setting
- Instruction will be tailored to meet the needs of the students – this option will be available to every student, regardless of ability level
- While students might benefit from regular, weekly meetings, this might also work as a one-time session for seniors writing the college essay, for example
- Potentially, high-achieving seniors might be able to work as a tutor in a work study of sorts
How many periods of the day we will be able to offer this service will depend on a number of factors, but in its inaugural year, we expect to offer this service for two or three periods during the school day, perhaps more.
Students will not need to sign up for this service – hours will be available on a first-come, first-served basis. As we refine the way that this assistance will work next year, we will post our most pressing updates on this page.