Our third-annual World Book Night at BHS is underway, and this year, all of the following book-minded events are all happening:
* To celebrate our selection of Stephen Chbosky’s The Perks of Being a Wallflower, The Devils’ Playlist has created two CDs of music – one is a collection of music mentioned in the book, the other is a playlist inspired by Sam, the main female character. These CDs, along with a special WBN edition of Perks will be placed on the Devils’ Playlist table periodically throughout the day.
* In a nod to Agatha Christie and her novel After the Funeral, which we are giving away, check the WANTED posters in the English hallway – if you are the first person to identify and locate the suspects who are on the lam at BHS, you receive the reward of getting one of our 4 World Book Night titles. See the English hallway for further instructions.
* Throughout BHS, copies of Word Wealth, our now-defunct vocabulary textbook, have been hollowed out, and their innards have been replaced with WBN books. The hiding places were far too easy last year – you’ll have to get more creative in your search this year. (HINT: No books are hidden within any classrooms)
* The teachers in the English Department will be giving away books to selected students throughout the day
* The Lally’s Literati FREE BOOKS table in the English hallway will be filled with all sorts of different books (not just World Book Night titles) throughout the day – check back often!
* Collab will be for sale at lunch for $10 – get a copy of the award-winning literary magazine
* From 6-8 PM at True North Coffee, Collab will host an Open Mic Night, where students are invited to read their original written works. This event overlaps with the recent release of the 2014 Collab. It will also feature the members of our Creative Writing: Poetry class, who have just completed the “30 Poems in 30 Days” challenge.
* And running from today through Mother’s Day, don’t forget about the Out of Print Clothing fundraiser, where you can purchase awesome literary t-shirts, and receive FREE shipping, while 30% of your purchase goes to help fund Collab. See more details on the fundraiser HERE.
As a reminder, the four books we’re giving away this year are:
After the Funeral by Agatha Christie
The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
This Boy’s Life by Tobias Wolff
Wait Till Next Year by Doris Kearns Goodwin
We hope you enjoy World Book Night 2014 as much as we do!